Friday, April 25, 2014

Savouring Crunchy: One bite at a time

This is the first of my crunchy post and I am so super excited! I have never called myself crunchy but now since someone else actually used that term to describe me, I am happy to embrace what I kind of suspected for sometime now. So as I proudly display my banner I am happy to talk about my favorite crunchy find to date. I feel a little like Dr. Frankenstein even though I just found this didn't really invent it but let me explain. On our road to peculiar, health has been a very real conviction of mine, and my husband has finally come to see some of the benefits. With much of our modern conveniences, we have thrown out the baby with the bath water. I love technology and so many of our medical advances on one hand but on the other hand well....? Let me give you an example. We have a Creator who made our bodies to do amazing things like fight off sickness, by way of fever, but from the time we have babies doctors are telling us to give our babies Tylenol so that the fever will go down. Well if the body has a natural mechanism that calls "all hands on deck" in the fight against whatever foreign body has invaded why do we try and mask it with a pill to feel better about the number on the thermometer. We should be excited(in a sense) that the immune system is doing its job. So many other examples, but just one more to make my point for today's post. For some reason we have launched an all out war against sweat. I understand that sweat can be a tad bit offensive to the nose at times BUT hear me out. It is NATURAL and beyond that it is medicinal! It is one of the ways our bodies get rid of toxins. Our skin, the biggest organ we have, is helping our bodies to clean itself and function properly. I say all that to say, antiperspirant is probably one of the worst things you could use under that very sensitive part of your body, where lots of toxin release is happening in the form of sweat-especially for men but also for women, it is an entry way to other very delicate areas like our breasts and I don't really need to tell you about the fight against breast cancer. My husband FINALLY noticed that even when you wash a shirt that has antiperspirant without giving it special attention under the arm area you will have a clean shirt with antiperspirant under the arm. Many times you can even smell it if you wear some of those special scented varieties. So it has been 5 years- not exaggerating-of my husband and I going back and forth waiting for me to give him something that work. We have tried LOTS of different "natural" deodorants and they have all failed. I know..... I smelled. He did finally knock down his expectations to just not wanting to stink and let go of the whole idea of not sweating. Because say it with me "it is NATURAL" to sweat and if you are doing something physical enough to be sweating profusely, then why shouldn't you? I don't think most of us need to concern ourselves with breaking out into a waterfall sweat session in the middle of: let's say the opera, unless you become ill and well, once again you really have to be thankful your body is telling you something very important like LEAVE NOW! So last week, talking to a lady I met, she told me of a recipe and then I looked it up. Why I have never thought of this I don't know but I so glad I finally did. If you take 2 of the "trinity" of most "natural" products and add cornstarch or arrowroot and throw in an essential oil of your choosing what do you get? YES!!!! a deodorant that passes the hubby test! Thank you all you pioneers who have put the ingredients out there for all of us crunchies that are filing in a little later; we so appreciate it! My husband likes lavendar and lemon for smell but it is very light and so we are all using that mixture for now .My daughters want some other girly scents so we will be trying those in the coming weeks. I am so encouraged and did I say EXCITED? I will continue to keep you posted on my continued journey.To infinity and beyond! (I don't know LOL!) http://wellnessmama.com/1523/how-to-make-natural-deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment