Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Milestones

Today I got to enjoy the fruit of a decision we made long ago; almost 13 years ago. It isn't the first time but each time we reach a milestone of one of our children I remember why we do life the way we do. The Vaughns are like many families we know now but not that we knew when we started out in our marriage. When we first married I always assumed that I would continue working outside of the home and the children would be in daycare and then school. Easy. Until one day I realized I didn't really like that idea as much as I thought. Thank goodness my husband didn't either. Hindsight 20/20 I don't believe we really thought I would never go back to work but it would be a season where I would stay home and watch the little people and then school would begin for them and I would go back to work. Well the little people kept coming(I don't know how that happens). Depending on one person for income in a growing family and a not so wonderful economy has definitely had lots of challenges. The military wasn't exactly a gold mine and since getting out employment has been *interesting*-yes let's call it that. Right now we are entering our 9th month of unemployment which I liken to maternity leave so I want to believe that the Father is ready to deliver us out of this very trying season. As you might imagine or maybe you are blessed in not being able to imagine what is like to literally be praying for tomorrow and how you were going to feed everyone in the house. Now before you start to feel bad for us this season has been one of remarkable growth for our family. We have seen our Father provide in remarkable ways and He has ALWAYS provided our daily bread. We have even had people offer to pay for something that was just fun for our family knowing that there was no way that would be part of our budget. I will honestly tell you that I am weary. Not always understanding why but trying to remain hopeful and believe that we are in a season not a life sentence. I have wondered -are we doing something wrong? I have even uttered those words that I hate so much -Why us?- only to answer for myself, as I always do -Why not YOU? I have cried and pouted. I have been angry and discouraged but mostly I have tried to walk knowing that we are loved and taken care of by the Creator of everything and I have nothing to fear. I hope people have seen a trusting smile more than they have seen broken tears. I pray I have been more faithful than not in pointing to my Father who keeps His promises. Today is one of those days when I get to be sure that it is not in vain as we labor. As I sat with my daughters, in the middle of our living room floor, my baby boy stood up and after practicing that for a while he took 3 shaky steps toward me! I am a mom of five and I have seen every first step of every one of my children; something that will never happen again. That is what this has been all about for me! I can't answer many questions about how we are making it from day to day. I can't answer why we had to be in the season we are in. Maybe one day I will be able to look back and express wisdom gained from a time when I was so uncertain of so many things but this I know is true:I was called to be mom to Bradley, Jhanna, Chloe, Jewel and Boaz and by the grace of the Almighty baby #6. No job could ever be as rewarding as I fashion my arrows everyday! The road is narrow, the struggles are real but the rewards are PRICELESS! I thank you today Father for blessing me to be here and not getting so caught up in fear that I went seeking to move out on my own and try to take things in my own hands. Your plans for us are perfect and we are learning to be abased just like we abound. Once again you provide so much joy; in the midst of hard times you allow us to rejoice and dance. You are our resting place and our manna in the desert. So long story short I saw Boaz take his first steps today and here we GO! Please pray that he would have beautiful feet that carry the message of our Savior wherever he may go.

3 comments:

  1. I got chills reading this, Angela! Thanks so much for sharing, and congrats to your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read it Lisa, I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! I think often of the blessings that we get to be a part of by investing in the right things. God sees the Vaughns and he will supply you with all your needs!

    ReplyDelete